Gregory Kielma • November 23, 2024
ECD-Stun Gun- or Taser The Use of Leathal Force Can and Might cause death

Bradenton PD terminates officer involved in tasing death, Palmetto officers remain on duty
By Samantha Gholar, USA TODAY NETWORK - Florida,
Bradenton Police officials provided only partial records that claimed an officer had only been disciplined in a high-profile use of force case when he in fact had reluctantly resigned from the department the Herald-Tribune has learned.
The omission misled the public, and the Herald-Tribune , which first reported the conclusion of the agency's internal affairs probe in late June. In August following the report, however, the officer in question came forward with heavy critiques and claims of misinformation of his former agency. There is no clear indication that the omission was intentional, but new information confirms rumors that the agency had already quietly accepted his resignation but had not made that information available to the public for over two months.
Former officer Julian Jackson, involved in the November 2023 tasing death of a Palmetto man, is accusing Bradenton PD leaders of forcing his resignation after he served a week-long unpaid suspension in late June.
What happened?
Following the close of an internal investigation, Bradenton police administrators concluded that former officer Jackson had violated six departmental procedural general orders, or PGOs, when he stopped to assist neighboring Palmetto Police Department on Nov. 2, 2023.
The incident, which involved a total of five officers— Jackson and four Palmetto police officers — led to the tasing death of a 36-year-old Palmetto man, Breonte Johnson-Davis. Jackson is the only officer from either department to be disciplined in the case.
A Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) investigation found no wrongdoing by any of the officers. However, Bradenton police administrators launched an independent internal probe three months later which eventually led to Jackson’s suspension from duty.
The investigation records show the suspension but did not include any mention of Jackson’s termination. BPD officials also failed to provide clear information when questioned by the Herald-Tribune about the former officer's employment status at the agency following a swirl of rumors about his departure in August.
Jackson contacted the Herald-Tribune in mid-August to confirm his exit from the Bradenton Police Department. A second set of records from BPD obtained on Aug. 25 reveals that the officer submitted a resignation letter to department administrators a day after his return from the 40-hour suspension on June 26.
He claims the resignation was forced and said he was confused and shocked by the agency's decision to end his employment.
Discrepancy in disciplinary action between agencies raises questions
Jackson, 26, joined the Bradenton Police Department in Oct. 2022 and was on the patrol force for just over a year the night he stopped while off-duty to assist the Palmetto PD in the tasing death incident in Nov. 2023.
His procedural general order violations that night, including failure to activate a body-worn camera and failure to file a use of force report among others, were first-time offenses at the agency Jackson contends.
Initially, he said he didn’t think his actions were wrong. He told the Herald -Tribune that following Johnson-Davis' death in custody, and throughout the internal probe, agency administration led him to believe that he could return to duty after his unpaid leave.
“I was shocked and upset and disappointed,” Jackson said. “The week leading up to my return I had conversations with my Lieutenant. I told him that the policies are subjective, because if you're going to hit me up for that, then you need to do an audit of everybody. Not just one person, you need to audit everybody,” he said.
Bradenton officials confirmed Jackson’s was no longer employed there following a late August public records request but remain tight-lipped about the accusations and claims from the former BPD officer.
Department leadership, including the police chief, refused to comment on the disciplinary action.
“I get that I broke policies, but I never broke those policies again. I learned from my mistake,” Jackson said. It’s very unfair to get dropped off at work thinking I’m going to get my things back— my car, my badge, my equipment and being told ‘Hey, we’re going in a different direction. So, you can either resign or you can stay and we’re going to let you go.’
The victim’s mother, Tracy Washington, continues to question the transparency of both agencies and their leaders. She said the Bradenton PD probe reopened the emotional wounds she has been working to heal over the past 11 months following her son’s death.
“I still have mixed feelings about all of this. He (Jackson) was the only person who was let go and no one else has been held accountable, so that brings up questions for me. I want to know why he was the only officer relieved of his duty,” Washington asked.
“Some of the violations in Julian Jackson’s report seem small compared to what I see looking at the body cam footage. Some of those officers did similar things, some of those officers killed my son. And they are still on the street, with no training.”
Bradenton’s Chief Bevan has not contacted her regarding the probe or Jackson’s subsequent exit Washington told the Herald -Tribune.
“I was hearing rumors and I wanted to know his employment status. I think that’s my right and that I deserve communication, being that I'm Breonte’s mother, she told me that she would but Chief (Bevan) never got back to me,” Washington explained.
“If you hid that from me, what else are you hiding? I'm never going to stop until I get justice for Breonte. I will fight until the last breath of my body until I get to the bottom of it. And I will get to the bottom of it.”
'Scapegoat’ claim unlikely criminal justice expert says
The firing of Jackson and lack of disciplinary action for any Palmetto officers, two of whom deployed tasers on Johnson-Davis which led to cardiac arrest and his subsequent death, seems puzzling to some outsiders.
However, Dennis Kenney, a professor of criminal justice at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and former Florida police officer, says that each agency has its own disciplinary and administrative scales when determining personnel matters.
“ It doesn't seem to be any dispute that he (Jackson) violated policies,” Kenney said about the Bradenton internal affairs probe. “Obviously, the department felt that the violations were significant. But I can see why he would be disturbed that he's the only one who got disciplinary action taken against him. But his scapegoat claims would imply that, I guess, the Bradenton Police Department is trying to cover for the Palmetto Police Department. That seems unlikely,” Kenney said.
Bradenton's chief is no stranger to controversy.
Bevan has come under fire multiple times during her post of chief—most notably in the summer of 2022 when Bevan was accused of allegedly conducting a search of a suspect's house without a warrant . She was cleared of wrongdoing in the incident in September 2022.
Bevan has also faced criticism from the department's union members. Around half of the department's union members surveyed two years ago also revealed felt that Bevan played favorites among agency employees. At least four Bradenton Police officers have filed complaints against the agency's chief since 2022.
Though the transparency and accountability of the agency are being called into question, Kenney explained that the critiques might be aimed at the wrong police department.
“It is a little hard to be critical of a police department for enforcing its rules,” he said. “But my question would be why the lack of actions from the Palmetto Police Department, not the Bradenton Police Department.”
The Herald-Tribune tried to speak with Palmetto Police Chief Scott Tyler about the disciplinary discrepancy between the neighboring agencies, but Tyler declined to comment.
Samantha Gholar covers social justice news for USA Today Network-Florida . Connect with her by email at sgholar@gannett.com.

About Edward Bailey: Why We Should Support Edward Bailey for Manatee County Commissioner, District 2
Why We Should Support Edward Bailey for Manatee County Commissioner, District 2

Being Prepared for the 2026 Hurricane Season By Gregory Kielma, Tactical K Training & Firearms The 2026 Hurricane Season is shaping up to be another year where preparation isn’t optional it’s essential. Florida has seen record heat, rising insurance pressures, rapid population growth, and increasingly unpredictable storm behavior. None of that is meant to create fear. It’s meant to reinforce a simple truth: preparedness gives you control, confidence, and options when the weather turns. Whether you’re protecting a home, a business, or a family, the goal is the same build layers of readiness before the first storm forms. Start With Awareness and a Plan Storms don’t give you time to “figure it out later.” Your plan should be written, practiced, and known by everyone in the household or workplace. Key elements of a solid plan: Where will you go if evacuation becomes necessary Multiple routes out of your area A communication plan if cell networks fail A designated out‑of‑state contact A plan for pets, elderly family members, and anyone with medical needs For businesses, include: Who secures the building Who handles digital backups Who communicates closures and reopening A plan removes panic. It replaces it with action. Strengthen Your Home or Business Before the First Storm Florida structures take a beating every year. Small improvements now prevent major losses later. Exterior protection: Inspect your roof for loose shingles or soft spots Clear gutters and drainage paths Trim trees and remove dead limbs Install or test shutters Reinforce garage doors—one of the most common failure points Interior protection: Surge protection for critical electronics Elevate valuables and important documents Know how to shut off water, power, and gas If you own a business, walk your property as if you were a storm: What can break? What can blow away? What can flood? Fix those points now. Build a Realistic, Usable Supply Kit For Your Home or Business A hurricane kit isn’t about stockpiling, it’s about independence. After a major storm, help may take hours or days to reach your area. For homes and families: Water: 1 gallon per person per day (minimum 3–7 days) Non‑perishable food Medications and medical supplies Flashlights, headlamps, and batteries Battery bank for phones First aid kit Copies of important documents Cash in small bills Tools, gloves, tarps, duct tape For businesses: Backup power for essential systems Printed employee contact lists Hard copies of insurance documents A plan for securing inventory and equipment Preparedness isn’t about fear it’s about not being dependent on luck. Protect Your Digital Life In 2026, digital readiness is just as important as physical readiness. Back up important files to the cloud and an external drive Photograph your home, business, and valuables for insurance Store digital copies of IDs, insurance policies, and receipts Keep chargers, power banks, and a small solar panel if possible When the power goes out, your digital preparation keeps you moving. Understand Post‑Storm Safety Most injuries happen after the storm, not during it. Be cautious with: Downed power lines Flooded roads Carbon monoxide from generators Unstable structures Contaminated water If you evacuated, don’t rush home. Wait for official clearance. Your safety comes first. Mindset: Prepared, Not Paranoid Preparedness is a discipline, not a reaction. It’s the same mindset we teach in every Tactical K class awareness, planning, and responsible action. A hurricane is a natural event. Your response is a choice. When you prepare early, you protect: Your family Your property Your business Your peace of mind And you set an example for your community. Kielma’s Parting Shot The 2026 Hurricane Season will bring challenges, just like every season. But Floridians are resilient, and preparation is part of our way of life. Start now. Strengthen your home, your business, and your plan. Build your layers of safety before the first storm forms. If you need help building a plan, creating a checklist, or preparing your family or business, Tactical K Training is here to support you with practical, real‑world guidance.

Convicted Felon Sentenced to 87 Months in Trafficking Nine Firearms, Including to Buyer Who Said He Was ‘At War’ Thursday, April 30, 2026 U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia WASHINGTON - Brandon Smith, 34, a previously convicted felon residing in the District of Columbia, was sentenced today in U.S. District Court to 87 months in prison for conspiring to traffic at least nine firearms to a prohibited buyer over the course of six months, announced U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “Brandon Smith was already on supervised probation for a violent felony when he chose to traffic firearms, and he continued even after being told the buyer intended to use them for violence,” said U.S. Attorney Pirro. “Over the course of six months, he arranged the sale of at least nine guns—including one with an obliterated serial number—to a prohibited individual. This was not a momentary lapse in judgment, but a sustained and deliberate effort to arm someone who could not legally possess firearms. My office remains committed to holding accountable those who endanger our communities by trafficking illegal guns.” On Jan. 9, 2026, Smith pleaded guilty before Judge Howell to conspiracy to commit trafficking in firearms. In addition to the 87-month prison term, Judge Howell ordered Smith to serve three years of supervised release. Federal prosecutors had requested a 108-month prison term. According to court papers, beginning in November 2023, ATF opened an investigation after a confidential source reported that Smith, then on supervised probation for a violent felony, was actively advertising firearms for sale by texting photographs of guns to prospective buyers, including individuals with prior felony convictions. During the next six months, Smith sold or arranged the sale of nine firearms to a buyer on six separate occasions. During the transactions, Smith sold his own personal carry firearm on multiple occasions when a supplier failed to deliver, then purchased a replacement for himself afterward. In early January 2024, as Smith and the buyer discussed an upcoming transaction, the buyer told Smith he needed the firearms because he was “at war” after his cousin had been killed. Smith proceeded with the sale. The buyer had also told Smith he was serving a criminal justice sentence at the time of the transactions. Smith acknowledged that he, too, was “on papers.” Smith arranged a total of six transactions from Nov. 30, 2023, through May 30, 2024, resulting in the sale of nine firearms. At least one of the firearms had its serial number obliterated. On Oct. 26, 2024, MPD officers conducted a traffic stop on the 1600 block of 16th Street SE and found Smith in the front passenger seat of a parked vehicle. Officers observed open containers of alcohol and discovered a satchel at his feet. Inside the satchel, in plain view, was a loaded Glock Model 19X 9mm handgun with a round in the chamber and 16 additional rounds in the magazine. The bag also contained a bank card and government-issued identification in Smith’s name. Smith has prior convictions for Simple Assault (2011), Attempted Robbery (2013), and Robbery and Possession of a Firearm during a Crime of Violence (2016), for which he was sentenced to five years in prison. He was serving a term of supervised probation from the 2016 conviction at the time of the firearms trafficking conspiracy. This investigation was conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Washington Field Office, and the Metropolitan Police Department. The matter was prosecuted by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Brendan M. Horan. Convicted Felon Sentenced to 87 Months in Trafficking

















