Gregory Kielma • June 29, 2025
Elderly pro-lifer beaten to a pulp in vicious attack outside Planned Parenthood; another elderly pro-lifer knocked out cold in same attack, witness says

NEWS From The BLAZE
Please join today
Elderly pro-lifer beaten to a pulp in vicious attack outside Planned Parenthood; another elderly pro-lifer knocked out cold in same attack, witness says
Dave Urbanski
May 31, 2023
Has it really come to this asks Firearms Instructor, FFL and First Aid Fundamentals Instructor Gregg Kielma? I can only pray that I never see an attempted murder on my watch. No one, NO ONE, on my watch will ever be beaten like that in my presence. EVER. That's my plan. What's yours? Enough said.
An elderly pro-life advocate was severely beaten in a vicious attack outside a Planned Parenthood in Baltimore last week while a witness said a second elderly pro-lifer was knocked out cold in the same attack.
What are the details?
The above Instagram post from Jay Walton, president of Baltimore County Right to Life, urges people to "please pray for my dear friend, Mark Crosby. He was viciously attacked yesterday, May 26, 2023, while he was praying in front of Planned Parenthood in Baltimore City. He and another pro-lifer were attacked from behind, and the thug ran away. Mark is currently in the hospital being treated for the serious injuries he sustained. Please pray that Mark makes a full recovery, and that the thug that did this to him is found and dealt with swiftly."
Local pro-life advocate John Roswell told LifeSiteNews that the violent attack against Crosby and another pro-lifer, Dick Schafer, outside a Planned Parenthood on North Howard Street was unprovoked.
Roswell told the outlet that Crosby’s “plate bone in his upper right cheek is completely fractured” and that he “is bleeding from some unidentified area behind his eye, and the bone eye orbit is completely shattered and will have to be replaced with metal.”
Sign up for the Blaze newsletter: By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content that may sometimes include advertisements. You may opt out at any time.
Roswell added to LifeSiteNews that the assailant had initially asked one of the Planned Parenthood escorts to hold his drink before lunging at Schafer “who believes his back was turned at that time to the assailant.”
“Mark, who was in the street, tried to go to Dick’s aid and was hit in the face, knocking him on the ground, and the man then kicked him in the head,” Roswell added to the outlet.
Police told WJZ-TV that video of attack "shows the suspect strike [the victim] in the face with a closed fist as [the victim] is on his back on the ground. The suspect is then observed standing up and with extreme force, kicks [the victim] directly in the face."
According to WBAL-TV, police were called to the scene around 10:30 a.m., and witnesses pointed out the victims. Police said the 73-year-old suffered a serious injury to his eye and face and was taken to Shock Trauma, the station said.
WBAL, citing one of the victims and a witness, said a man believed to be in his late 20s "went on a rampage" following an argument over abortion rights.
"He didn't like their opinion or what was being said. The gentleman just took it into his own hands," a witness who asked to remain anonymous told the station.
The witness added to WBAL that the attacker knocked Schaefer out cold: "He speared the one gentleman over that flowerpot into the window and knocked him out. He was out cold for several minutes." The American Center for Law and Justice later said Schaefer was 84 years old at the time of the attack.
Schaefer told WBAL of his own injuries to his hand, shoulder, head, and back.
"I leaned down. I was hit by a truck. I don't know what happened, but instantly I was looking up to the sky," Schaefer added to the station.
Schaefer told WBAL that Crosby saved his life — and both Schaefer and the witness said the attacker repeatedly punched Crosby in the face and stomped on him before leaving the scene. Medical staff at a nearby business treated Crosby until paramedics arrived, the station added.
"I went in there, and he was on a gurney. His face was all swollen and bloody, blood all over his clothes," Schaefer told WBAL of Crosby.
Walton set up a GoFundMe page for Crosby; as of Wednesday afternoon over $41,000 has been raised.
The suspect was described as a 20-something white male with brown hair, a full beard, and standing about 6-feet tall, WBAL said, adding that he was wearing a gray T-shirt, blue jeans, and brown shoes. He was last seen walking westbound on Mulberry Street, the station said, adding that anyone with information is asked to call police.
Roswell told WBAL that he and Schaefer and Crosby have been a presence outside the Planned Parenthood for years.
"I've been spat on by people going by," Roswell added to the station. "Then, on another occasion, he put a satanic curse on me. This is the kind of atmosphere we are dealing with."
Karen Nelson, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood of Maryland, told WBAL that her organization "does not condone any violence, and I think it's unfortunate that there was an incident that occurred outside of our health center. It's a darn shame that folks who are trying to receive health care have to put up with remarks and comments when they are just trying to go into a facility and receive health care."
Good news!
Roswell told TheBlaze that both Crosby and Schafer showed up outside the Planned Parenthood for a few hours Wednesday afternoon.
"Mark seems to be doing amazingly well," Schafer added in reference to Crosby, noting that he "still has potential operations in his future."
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox. Sign up here!

About Edward Bailey: Why We Should Support Edward Bailey for Manatee County Commissioner, District 2
Why We Should Support Edward Bailey for Manatee County Commissioner, District 2

Being Prepared for the 2026 Hurricane Season By Gregory Kielma, Tactical K Training & Firearms The 2026 Hurricane Season is shaping up to be another year where preparation isn’t optional it’s essential. Florida has seen record heat, rising insurance pressures, rapid population growth, and increasingly unpredictable storm behavior. None of that is meant to create fear. It’s meant to reinforce a simple truth: preparedness gives you control, confidence, and options when the weather turns. Whether you’re protecting a home, a business, or a family, the goal is the same build layers of readiness before the first storm forms. Start With Awareness and a Plan Storms don’t give you time to “figure it out later.” Your plan should be written, practiced, and known by everyone in the household or workplace. Key elements of a solid plan: Where will you go if evacuation becomes necessary Multiple routes out of your area A communication plan if cell networks fail A designated out‑of‑state contact A plan for pets, elderly family members, and anyone with medical needs For businesses, include: Who secures the building Who handles digital backups Who communicates closures and reopening A plan removes panic. It replaces it with action. Strengthen Your Home or Business Before the First Storm Florida structures take a beating every year. Small improvements now prevent major losses later. Exterior protection: Inspect your roof for loose shingles or soft spots Clear gutters and drainage paths Trim trees and remove dead limbs Install or test shutters Reinforce garage doors—one of the most common failure points Interior protection: Surge protection for critical electronics Elevate valuables and important documents Know how to shut off water, power, and gas If you own a business, walk your property as if you were a storm: What can break? What can blow away? What can flood? Fix those points now. Build a Realistic, Usable Supply Kit For Your Home or Business A hurricane kit isn’t about stockpiling, it’s about independence. After a major storm, help may take hours or days to reach your area. For homes and families: Water: 1 gallon per person per day (minimum 3–7 days) Non‑perishable food Medications and medical supplies Flashlights, headlamps, and batteries Battery bank for phones First aid kit Copies of important documents Cash in small bills Tools, gloves, tarps, duct tape For businesses: Backup power for essential systems Printed employee contact lists Hard copies of insurance documents A plan for securing inventory and equipment Preparedness isn’t about fear it’s about not being dependent on luck. Protect Your Digital Life In 2026, digital readiness is just as important as physical readiness. Back up important files to the cloud and an external drive Photograph your home, business, and valuables for insurance Store digital copies of IDs, insurance policies, and receipts Keep chargers, power banks, and a small solar panel if possible When the power goes out, your digital preparation keeps you moving. Understand Post‑Storm Safety Most injuries happen after the storm, not during it. Be cautious with: Downed power lines Flooded roads Carbon monoxide from generators Unstable structures Contaminated water If you evacuated, don’t rush home. Wait for official clearance. Your safety comes first. Mindset: Prepared, Not Paranoid Preparedness is a discipline, not a reaction. It’s the same mindset we teach in every Tactical K class awareness, planning, and responsible action. A hurricane is a natural event. Your response is a choice. When you prepare early, you protect: Your family Your property Your business Your peace of mind And you set an example for your community. Kielma’s Parting Shot The 2026 Hurricane Season will bring challenges, just like every season. But Floridians are resilient, and preparation is part of our way of life. Start now. Strengthen your home, your business, and your plan. Build your layers of safety before the first storm forms. If you need help building a plan, creating a checklist, or preparing your family or business, Tactical K Training is here to support you with practical, real‑world guidance.

Convicted Felon Sentenced to 87 Months in Trafficking Nine Firearms, Including to Buyer Who Said He Was ‘At War’ Thursday, April 30, 2026 U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia WASHINGTON - Brandon Smith, 34, a previously convicted felon residing in the District of Columbia, was sentenced today in U.S. District Court to 87 months in prison for conspiring to traffic at least nine firearms to a prohibited buyer over the course of six months, announced U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “Brandon Smith was already on supervised probation for a violent felony when he chose to traffic firearms, and he continued even after being told the buyer intended to use them for violence,” said U.S. Attorney Pirro. “Over the course of six months, he arranged the sale of at least nine guns—including one with an obliterated serial number—to a prohibited individual. This was not a momentary lapse in judgment, but a sustained and deliberate effort to arm someone who could not legally possess firearms. My office remains committed to holding accountable those who endanger our communities by trafficking illegal guns.” On Jan. 9, 2026, Smith pleaded guilty before Judge Howell to conspiracy to commit trafficking in firearms. In addition to the 87-month prison term, Judge Howell ordered Smith to serve three years of supervised release. Federal prosecutors had requested a 108-month prison term. According to court papers, beginning in November 2023, ATF opened an investigation after a confidential source reported that Smith, then on supervised probation for a violent felony, was actively advertising firearms for sale by texting photographs of guns to prospective buyers, including individuals with prior felony convictions. During the next six months, Smith sold or arranged the sale of nine firearms to a buyer on six separate occasions. During the transactions, Smith sold his own personal carry firearm on multiple occasions when a supplier failed to deliver, then purchased a replacement for himself afterward. In early January 2024, as Smith and the buyer discussed an upcoming transaction, the buyer told Smith he needed the firearms because he was “at war” after his cousin had been killed. Smith proceeded with the sale. The buyer had also told Smith he was serving a criminal justice sentence at the time of the transactions. Smith acknowledged that he, too, was “on papers.” Smith arranged a total of six transactions from Nov. 30, 2023, through May 30, 2024, resulting in the sale of nine firearms. At least one of the firearms had its serial number obliterated. On Oct. 26, 2024, MPD officers conducted a traffic stop on the 1600 block of 16th Street SE and found Smith in the front passenger seat of a parked vehicle. Officers observed open containers of alcohol and discovered a satchel at his feet. Inside the satchel, in plain view, was a loaded Glock Model 19X 9mm handgun with a round in the chamber and 16 additional rounds in the magazine. The bag also contained a bank card and government-issued identification in Smith’s name. Smith has prior convictions for Simple Assault (2011), Attempted Robbery (2013), and Robbery and Possession of a Firearm during a Crime of Violence (2016), for which he was sentenced to five years in prison. He was serving a term of supervised probation from the 2016 conviction at the time of the firearms trafficking conspiracy. This investigation was conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Washington Field Office, and the Metropolitan Police Department. The matter was prosecuted by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Brendan M. Horan. Convicted Felon Sentenced to 87 Months in Trafficking

















