Gregory Kielma • June 27, 2025
Dozens Charged in South Florida with Federal Firearms and Drug Trafficking Crimes

Dozens Charged in South Florida with Federal Firearms and Drug Trafficking Crimes, 80 Firearms and Multiple Kilos of Fentanyl, Other Dangerous Drugs Seized
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Florida
MIAMI - U.S. Attorney Hayden P. O’Byrne for the Southern District of Florida and acting Special Agent in Charge Gordon Mallory of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Miami Field Division announced today the results of a two-month, multi-agency effort targeting repeat offenders in South Florida during a press conference.
In April, the ATF launched “Operation Showdown,” an enhanced enforcement initiative focused on combating violent crime and the illegal possession and trafficking of firearms in South Florida. As part of this initiative, ATF personnel from around the country were deployed to work alongside federal and local law enforcement agencies, bringing with them a broad range of expertise—including tactical operations, technical support, and undercover capabilities.
So far, the ATF-led initiative has resulted in federal charges and arrests of 31 Miami-Dade and Broward County residents with firearms and narcotics trafficking offenses. In total, 80 firearms were seized along with 900 rounds of ammunition. The seized firearms include automatic and semiautomatic weapons, rifles, handguns, and machine gun conversion devices. Additionally, approximately 10 kilograms of illegal narcotics were confiscated, including fentanyl, methamphetamine, cocaine, crack, oxycodone, and others.
“Drugs and guns continue to fuel the violence that threatens the safety of our community,” said U.S. Attorney O’Byrne. “By prosecuting violent offenders, in close collaboration with ATF and other federal and local law enforcement agencies, we send a clear and unified message that South Florida will not be defined by fear but by safety and justice. I commend the agents and officers that made Operation Showdown a success.”
“This Enhanced Enforcement Initiative in Southern Florida has resulted in long term results,” said acting Special Agent in Charge Mallory. “ATF will continue to prioritize keeping violent offenders, those who traffic, possess, and utilize firearms illegally, and narcotics traffickers, out of our communities, because it is a critical component of keeping our communities safe. This targeted program could not have been possible without the support and collaboration from our local and federal partners. ATF strives to foster and maintain these relationships to ensure that we safeguard the public that we serve.”
U.S. Attorney O’Byrne and acting ATF Miami Special Agent in Charge Mallory acknowledged and commended the investigative support and assistance from the United States Marshals Service, Drug Enforcement Administration, Homeland Security Investigations, Broward Sheriff’s Office, Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office, and The Fort Lauderdale Police Department.
The federal cases are being coordinated by Deputy Chief Sharad Motiani of the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s International Narcotics and Money Laundering Section.
United States v. Bethel, Case No. 25-cr-20256, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrea Montes.
United States v. Breedlove, Case No. 25-mj-06411, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin Gerarde.
United States v. Doe, Case No. 25-mj-06390, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicholas Carre.
United States v. Downing, Case No. 25-mj-06403, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Killoran.
United States v. Ferdinand, Case No. 25-mj-06409, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Mahoney.
United States v. Graham, Case No. 25-cr-60143, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Mahoney.
United States v. Harris, Case No. 25-cr-20264, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Audrey Pence Tomanelli.
United States v. Holmes, Case No. 25-cr-60136, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jacob Koffsky.
United States v. James et al., Case No. 25-cr-20212, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kseniya Smychkouskaya.
United States v. Jefferson, Case No. 25-cr-20206, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jacob Koffsky.
United States v. McIntyre, Case No. 25-cr-20113, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeremy Fugate.
United States v. Memnon et al., Case No. 25-mj-06406, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin Gerarde.
United States v. Moultry, Case No. 25-cr-60131, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeremy Thompson.
United States v. Rodriguez, Case No. 25-cr-20246, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brianna Coakley.
United States v. Roxton, Case No. 25-mj-06404, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Mahoney.
United States v. Washington et al., Case No. 25-mj-03196, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Elena Smukler.
United States v. Williams, Case No. 25-mj-06402, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Killoran.
United States v. Williams, Case No. 25-cr-20112, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeremy Fugate.
United States v. Worthy, Case No. 25-cr-60139, is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Kseniya Smychkouskaya.
This case is part of Operation Take Back America a nationwide initiative that marshals the full resources of the Department of Justice to repel the invasion of illegal immigration, achieve the total elimination of cartels and transnational criminal organizations (TCOs), and protect our communities from the perpetrators of violent crime. Operation Take Back America streamlines efforts and resources from the Department’s Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Forces (OCDETFs) and Project Safe Neighborhood (PSN).
The charges contained in indictments and complaints are not evidence of guilt. Charges are only allegations, and each defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Note: images on display during the press conference can be viewed here.
Contact
Public Affairs Unit
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Southern District of Florida
USAFLS.News@usdoj.gov
Updated June 23, 2025

About Edward Bailey: Why We Should Support Edward Bailey for Manatee County Commissioner, District 2
Why We Should Support Edward Bailey for Manatee County Commissioner, District 2

Being Prepared for the 2026 Hurricane Season By Gregory Kielma, Tactical K Training & Firearms The 2026 Hurricane Season is shaping up to be another year where preparation isn’t optional it’s essential. Florida has seen record heat, rising insurance pressures, rapid population growth, and increasingly unpredictable storm behavior. None of that is meant to create fear. It’s meant to reinforce a simple truth: preparedness gives you control, confidence, and options when the weather turns. Whether you’re protecting a home, a business, or a family, the goal is the same build layers of readiness before the first storm forms. Start With Awareness and a Plan Storms don’t give you time to “figure it out later.” Your plan should be written, practiced, and known by everyone in the household or workplace. Key elements of a solid plan: Where will you go if evacuation becomes necessary Multiple routes out of your area A communication plan if cell networks fail A designated out‑of‑state contact A plan for pets, elderly family members, and anyone with medical needs For businesses, include: Who secures the building Who handles digital backups Who communicates closures and reopening A plan removes panic. It replaces it with action. Strengthen Your Home or Business Before the First Storm Florida structures take a beating every year. Small improvements now prevent major losses later. Exterior protection: Inspect your roof for loose shingles or soft spots Clear gutters and drainage paths Trim trees and remove dead limbs Install or test shutters Reinforce garage doors—one of the most common failure points Interior protection: Surge protection for critical electronics Elevate valuables and important documents Know how to shut off water, power, and gas If you own a business, walk your property as if you were a storm: What can break? What can blow away? What can flood? Fix those points now. Build a Realistic, Usable Supply Kit For Your Home or Business A hurricane kit isn’t about stockpiling, it’s about independence. After a major storm, help may take hours or days to reach your area. For homes and families: Water: 1 gallon per person per day (minimum 3–7 days) Non‑perishable food Medications and medical supplies Flashlights, headlamps, and batteries Battery bank for phones First aid kit Copies of important documents Cash in small bills Tools, gloves, tarps, duct tape For businesses: Backup power for essential systems Printed employee contact lists Hard copies of insurance documents A plan for securing inventory and equipment Preparedness isn’t about fear it’s about not being dependent on luck. Protect Your Digital Life In 2026, digital readiness is just as important as physical readiness. Back up important files to the cloud and an external drive Photograph your home, business, and valuables for insurance Store digital copies of IDs, insurance policies, and receipts Keep chargers, power banks, and a small solar panel if possible When the power goes out, your digital preparation keeps you moving. Understand Post‑Storm Safety Most injuries happen after the storm, not during it. Be cautious with: Downed power lines Flooded roads Carbon monoxide from generators Unstable structures Contaminated water If you evacuated, don’t rush home. Wait for official clearance. Your safety comes first. Mindset: Prepared, Not Paranoid Preparedness is a discipline, not a reaction. It’s the same mindset we teach in every Tactical K class awareness, planning, and responsible action. A hurricane is a natural event. Your response is a choice. When you prepare early, you protect: Your family Your property Your business Your peace of mind And you set an example for your community. Kielma’s Parting Shot The 2026 Hurricane Season will bring challenges, just like every season. But Floridians are resilient, and preparation is part of our way of life. Start now. Strengthen your home, your business, and your plan. Build your layers of safety before the first storm forms. If you need help building a plan, creating a checklist, or preparing your family or business, Tactical K Training is here to support you with practical, real‑world guidance.

Convicted Felon Sentenced to 87 Months in Trafficking Nine Firearms, Including to Buyer Who Said He Was ‘At War’ Thursday, April 30, 2026 U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia WASHINGTON - Brandon Smith, 34, a previously convicted felon residing in the District of Columbia, was sentenced today in U.S. District Court to 87 months in prison for conspiring to traffic at least nine firearms to a prohibited buyer over the course of six months, announced U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “Brandon Smith was already on supervised probation for a violent felony when he chose to traffic firearms, and he continued even after being told the buyer intended to use them for violence,” said U.S. Attorney Pirro. “Over the course of six months, he arranged the sale of at least nine guns—including one with an obliterated serial number—to a prohibited individual. This was not a momentary lapse in judgment, but a sustained and deliberate effort to arm someone who could not legally possess firearms. My office remains committed to holding accountable those who endanger our communities by trafficking illegal guns.” On Jan. 9, 2026, Smith pleaded guilty before Judge Howell to conspiracy to commit trafficking in firearms. In addition to the 87-month prison term, Judge Howell ordered Smith to serve three years of supervised release. Federal prosecutors had requested a 108-month prison term. According to court papers, beginning in November 2023, ATF opened an investigation after a confidential source reported that Smith, then on supervised probation for a violent felony, was actively advertising firearms for sale by texting photographs of guns to prospective buyers, including individuals with prior felony convictions. During the next six months, Smith sold or arranged the sale of nine firearms to a buyer on six separate occasions. During the transactions, Smith sold his own personal carry firearm on multiple occasions when a supplier failed to deliver, then purchased a replacement for himself afterward. In early January 2024, as Smith and the buyer discussed an upcoming transaction, the buyer told Smith he needed the firearms because he was “at war” after his cousin had been killed. Smith proceeded with the sale. The buyer had also told Smith he was serving a criminal justice sentence at the time of the transactions. Smith acknowledged that he, too, was “on papers.” Smith arranged a total of six transactions from Nov. 30, 2023, through May 30, 2024, resulting in the sale of nine firearms. At least one of the firearms had its serial number obliterated. On Oct. 26, 2024, MPD officers conducted a traffic stop on the 1600 block of 16th Street SE and found Smith in the front passenger seat of a parked vehicle. Officers observed open containers of alcohol and discovered a satchel at his feet. Inside the satchel, in plain view, was a loaded Glock Model 19X 9mm handgun with a round in the chamber and 16 additional rounds in the magazine. The bag also contained a bank card and government-issued identification in Smith’s name. Smith has prior convictions for Simple Assault (2011), Attempted Robbery (2013), and Robbery and Possession of a Firearm during a Crime of Violence (2016), for which he was sentenced to five years in prison. He was serving a term of supervised probation from the 2016 conviction at the time of the firearms trafficking conspiracy. This investigation was conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Washington Field Office, and the Metropolitan Police Department. The matter was prosecuted by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Brendan M. Horan. Convicted Felon Sentenced to 87 Months in Trafficking

















